Vice Scientific Director, Italian Institute of Technology, Genoa
BACKGROUND / Academic and professional background.
- 1994 MS degree cum laude in Electronic Engineering, University of Genoa
- 2000 PhD in Electronic Engineering, University of Genoa
- 2001-2002 Postdoctoral associate, MIT, AI Lab
- 2005 Assistant Professor (with tenure), University of Genoa
- 2006 Senior Researcher, Italian Institute of Technology
- 2012 Director of the iCub Facility, Italian Institute of Technology
- 2012 Professor, University of Plymouth, UK
- 2013 Deputy Director (external funding), Italian Institute of Technology
- 2016 Vice Scientific Director, Italian Institute of Technology
ACHIEVEMENT/ What is the project/initiative/startup/company you will be presenting at the Positive Economy Forum all about ?
- Project: personal robotics, Italian Institute of Technology
LOCATION/ In which city, country, part of the world do you conduct your activities ?
- Genoa, Italy
IMPACT/ What is the positive economic, social, political, environmental…of the activity, project, initiative, startup, company ?
- The combination of robotics and artificial intelligence is thought to be the next industrial revolution. Robotics, for example, may be applied to sustainable production, in disaster recovery scenarios, for personal assistance (e.g. for the elderly), on environmental monitoring and in post-traumatic rehabilitation. We can see already signs of this happening in the autonomous cars, in our search engines, planning software, in natural speech recognition and in the manipulation of large quantity of data. The social impact of these technologies is large. It is therefore important to discuss openly and informed by science on the risks and opportunities of this technology.
QUOTE/ A saying, quote or reference phrase that tells something about you :
Consider well the seed that gave you birth: you were not made to live as brutes, but to follow virtue and knowledge.